Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tanya Hansen's Enchiladas

You know how they say when you do your visiting teaching it blesses the sisters you teach as well as you? Well today I went visiting teaching and it blessed me and my family ;)
My companion is Tanya Hansen, I picked her up this afternoon to go to an appointment and she smelled like enchiladas. She told me about how she had been making them all morning getting ready for an upcoming wedding that she's catering. We went to our appointment then I dropped her back off at home. Well I left her house totally craving enchildas so about 10 minutes after I dropped her off I called her back at home asking for the recipe. She also told me about a handy tip that is probably common knowledge except to me ;)
She told me that she makes a huge batch then puts them on cookie sheets and freezes them. Once they're frozen they can be taken off the cookie sheet and broken apart and labeled in ziplock bags. How smart! So you keep them in the freezer and you have a quick enchilada dinner any night of the week. There's no sauce on them so they don't get soggy.

Enchiladas
Filling: shredded meat, green chilis, shredded cheddar cheese, onions (I cooked mine), black beans (I added that), mexican seasonings til it tastes like you like it.
Corn Tortillas: Fry them in oil just for a second until soft then dry on a paper towel.
Place a thin layer of sauce on bottom of cooking dish. Fill the tortillas, roll and place in dish to cook in oven or on cookie sheet if freezing.
Place sauce over entire pan and cover with cheese. If cooking from frozen state dip in sauce then place in cooking dish. Pour remaining sauce over pan and top with cheese. Cook at 350 until cooked through.

3 comments:

mary jane said...

Yum! And what a good idea to freeze them like that. Tanya is a great cook. I just made her sweet and sour chicken tonight!

Carol F. said...

Hi, I am Mary Jane's friend Carol. This is a great idea. So do you have a recipe for the sauce, too?

Allison said...

Welcome Carol ;)
I just used a can of the red enchilada sauce from the grocery store. Mary Jane - can you post the sweet and sour chicken recipe? I can't find my copy and it was so yummy I'm sure everyone would love it!