Monday, December 15, 2008

Organizing Recipes

I have been looking for a way to organize my recipes on my computer. I have a recipe box with index cards, but it seems like lately all the new recipes I have tried have come from blogs or allrecipes.com. My laptop is in my kitchen so I often just check the computer for a recipe.

So my latest find is Google Notebook. It is perfect for storing recipes! It is easy to use, can be accessed from anywhere (that you have computer access), and it is free! Here is what you do:

*From google.com, go to "more google products" and click on Notebook.

*click "Create a new notebook" called Recipes (or whatever you want to call it).

*click "new note" to add your recipe. You can enter text (from your recipe cards), or just cut and paste from a recipe online. Try highlighting the recipe, then click your RIGHT mouse button. There is an option that says "Note this (Google Notebook)" It just goes right into your google notebook from there. So cool!

*after your recipe is added, click on "label". These are your recipe dividers. The nice thing is that you can give it more than one label (something you can't do with index cards!) You decide what labels you want. For instance, if it was Chicken Enchiladas, I'd call it: chicken, mexican food, family meals. I am using the "family meals" label for dinners that I can put on my 90-day menu. You could call it anything you want.

You can also leave notes to yourself on each recipe in the "comment" field.


This has been so fun! I was able to transfer a bunch of recipes tonight that I had in a computer recipe program. It was very quick to do and I think it will be much easier to use. Another thought is that it will be so easy to pass the recipes on to my children. They can just access my google notebook and copy whatever they would like into their own google notebook!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Sounds pretty cool, thanks for sharing I'll have to check that one out! Google has all kinds of cool free tools that are worth checking out!